General Questions

Do children stay at the Center?
No, children come to the Center to receive our services, for family visits, or if they are being removed from their home and awaiting placement.

Are you a government agency?
No, we are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.

How do you receive funding?
Our 2017 Statement of Financial Activities reports that 32 percent of funds come from charitable contributions, 23 percent from government and affiliated sources, 18 percent from our special events, 14 percent from donated goods and services, and 13 percent from rent, interest, and other sources.

How can I get involved with the Center?

There are a few ways to get involved:

  • Become a Corporate or Community Partner: Corporations, individuals or community organizations can support the Center in many ways, event sponsorships, donations, clothing/goods drives for the rainbow room, and volunteerism are a few examples.
  • Volunteer
  • Donate: Become an ongoing supporter of the Center as a Guardian Angel or Champion for Children. Even a one-time donation can go a long way in helping us provide services to children in our community.

Questions About Cases

Why didn’t my child tell me they were being harmed?

There are many reasons that a child does not disclose abuse. Reasons may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Threat from the perpetrator of harm to them or their families
  • Fear of shame, blame, or disappointment from parents or peers
  • The perpetrator is a family member, highly respected, or relied on by the family
  • They were never asked
  • Inability to verbalize abuse
  • Convinced by the perpetrator that they child were partially or fully responsible for the abuse
  • Existing family problems or conflicts
  • Family attitudes towards sex

Why is the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) involved?

State law requires anyone who believes a child has been abused or neglected to file a report to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) or to a law enforcement agency. The law requires DFPS to investigate these reports to protect children. Their goal is to determine if the allegations took place and if the child is safe in their current situation.

Will my child have to testify in court?
If charges have been filed against the perpetrator and the case goes to trial, the child may be required to testify in court. The offender has a constitutional right to face their accuser and in these cases, that means the victim.  Your family advocate will be with you every step of the way, providing case updates, preparing you with what to expect, and accompanying you to court. The Center and District Attorney’s office have created a program called “Kids in Court”, where your child will meet professionals working at the courthouse and become familiar with the trial process.

Common Questions For Therapy

Can my child receive therapy?

We provide trauma-informed therapy for victims of abuse. Children are referred to therapy by members of our MDT.

Do you provide counseling for adults?
Therapy services are available to child victims and their non-offending family members.

I or my child has received services from the Center in the past. Can I/we return for services?
Please contact us at 972.633.6600 and we will determine the best course of action.

We recently moved to the area and my child has been receiving services from another CAC. Can we receive services here?
Please contact us at 972.633.6600 and we will determine the best course of action.

Do you provide diagnostic or psychiatric assessments?